Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Back to Basics with Baby

This week we started the transition from soy formula to soy milk with Georgia.  It is not going well!! She is having issues with diarrhea and diaper rash very similar to her reactions to milk based formula.  We have decided to switch back to soy formula for now and try again in another couple months.

Georgia has had little patches of excema here and there for quite a long time.  Over the past two week, the excema has spread and now covers quite a bit of her tummy and shoulders and the creases of her knees and elbows.  We are suscipious that it may be food related as it has gotten progressively worse as she has eaten more and more table food and less baby food and formula.  So in addition to going back to soy formula, we are going back to just fruits and veggies.  We will keep grains out of her diet for a week or so and watch to see how her skin reacts.  On one hand, I'm hoping to find the answer but on the other hand I want very much to be wrong about my gut instinct.  I don't know if I'm ready for a wheat allergy or other food issue!!

I have experimented a lot in making my own baby food for Georgia.  It has been much easier than I thought it would be!  Here are a few of our favorites:

Sweet potatoes - I peel and chunk them and roast them with a little olive oil in the oven, then pulse it in the food processor.  Now that Georgia has teeth, we've skipped the food processor and just feed her the chunks.

Butternut squash - I prepare this the same as sweet potatoes.  Harris Teeter sells squash in already peeled and chunked for the same price as buying it whole!

Apples - I core the apples and slice them with the peels still on, then I cook them down and pulse it in the food processor.  I make it a lot chunkier than I used to and now my other children are enjoying the applesauce with her!

Pumpkin - Until I started looking for simple homemade baby food ideas on the internet, I never thought of pumpkin!  Now we buy canned pumpkin to feed her (not pumpkin pie filling)!  It's very easy to spoon it into an ice tray, freeze the cubes then store them in a freezer bag until you are ready to serve it.

So for now, I'm back to making baby food!  Once again, this baby has me walking paths I thought were behind me and in unexpected places.  We are continuing to trust that God knows the way better than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment